This post was inspired by all of the amazing baker-bloggers out there who have me obsessed with everything mini! Here’s looking at you Sally’s Baking Addiction, Fresh April Flours and Bakerella. 😉
I recently uncovered a bunch of mini M&M’s in my cupboard and thought what better of a use than mini cookies? These bite sized cookies are delectable – soft chewy and crisp at the edges like a cookie should be! Enjoy.
For most of my soft baked cookies I have a base go-to recipe that I will tweak and this has taught me that in most cases, chilling your cookie dough is a MUST and an absolute LIFE SAVER. I can usually feel from the dough whether or not it will need some time to chill (if it’s thin, soft or too moist), and then I’ll set in the freezer (yes, the freezer) for 1-1.5 hours. I know everyone says to chill in the fridge for a few hours up to a few days, but I find my freezer a very effective way to achieve the same results in less time.
For these cookies, and most of my cookies, I hand roll them into balls as opposed to using a cookie scoop- I just prefer that I mold the cookies to turn out exactly as I want them to look.
Mini M&M Cookies
Yields: 45 bite-sized cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter or margarine
- ¾ cup golden brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ cups Mini M&Ms
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium sized bowl mix together butter, sugars, vanilla and egg until thoroughly combined. Pour the wet mix into the large bowl of dry ingredients and mix until just combined – this should form a thick dough.
- Add M&Ms to the mixture and fold into the dough.
- Freeze for up to 2 hours or refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
- Once dough has chilled, preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Roll the cookies into 1 inch sized balls or drop cookie dough with a 1 inch cookie scoop, keeping each ball of cookies dough 2 inches away from each other. I was able to bake 12 cookies per sheet.
- Bake cookies for 8-9 minutes in the oven or until the bottom edges of the cookie turn slightly golden. The top of the cookies may not look done but they will continue to cook on the tray – this will give you soft chewy cookies.